Saturday, November 17, 2007

Crêpe, monsieur?

This morning, I felt like making crêpes. My body had woken up at 6:30 a.m. but I refused to get up, even if all I was going to do was lie in bed. So I did, and after a while, fell back asleep.

When I awoke again at 9 or so, I wanted to make breakfast for Brian. He does nice things for me, so I wanted to do something nice for him. I originally thought to make french bread (feeling kind of frenchie today, I guess), but then AHA! not french bread, no, but crrrêpes, monsieur!!! It made me think back to when I learned how to make them when I lived in Nantes and how easy it was. I did have to look up a recipe because I couldn't remember the proportions of the egg and flour, but other than that, it was like old times. And so I made crêpes for the one I love.

Ah, the joys of being in love with no children yet. I had the luxury of refusing to get up. Hmmm.... Living in the moment, I am. Definitely.

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted

DIRECTIONS

  1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and the eggs. Gradually add in the milk and water, stirring to combine. Add the salt and butter; beat until smooth.
  2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each crepe. Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.
  3. Cook the crepe for about 2 minutes, until the bottom is light brown. Loosen with a spatula, turn and cook the other side. Serve hot.


The only thing I changed was that I didn't melt the butter first and put it into the batter; rather, I melted butter into the pan (ordinary non-stick but quite large) and poured the batter directly into the melted butter. I figured it would absorb it either way, and was quite right about that.

We had them with chocolate (I had a Lindt bar of truffles from the day before), strawberry jam, cheese. Not all at once, but separately! ;-) They were so popular that Bri's on his way to buy actual nutella and ham and shredded cheese so we can have them for dinner. Mmmmm....