Thursday, April 12, 2007

Of eggs and cakes and tears...

So this past Easter Saturday, Alex and I went to her mom's and we decorated Easter eggs...this was the first time I have ever done any dying of Easter eggs, at least that I can remember. We all had one wooden egg to do and several real eggs. I thought my wooden egg, after dying it blue and pasting the green bits on to make a "world egg," turned out pretty good:



Anyway, Alex made a cake and brought it over and was decorating that as well.

But, before I get to that, I need to talk about this...

A couple of weeks ago, Alex and I were talking about finances, specifically her debt from law school, which as anyone who's had school debt will assume, isn't insignificant. She told me that she was worried that I'd break up with her over her debt.
I told her, and I absolutely meant (and mean) it, that "I would rather live in a cardboard box on the street with you than live without you."

Now back to your regularly "shed-yuled" blog...

Alex was decorating a cake. It was a simple yellow cake in white icing. she was really going to town as well...doing a whole Ace of Cakes thing on it. She had rolled fondit and coloured it, making it blue and put two rectangles of it near one end, covered about 3/4 of the other end in a greenish tint, put what looked like a # sign on that in red, put a small picket fence around the side with a couple of dogs, a small plastic pizza on the top and to finish it off, two heads, one with a black hat on, resting on the blue pieces of fondit. She then took it to the other room to finish it off. She was cutting out cardboard pieces and taping them together.

NO ONE knew what she was going for...

So finally she told me.

Alex said: "What does this look like to you?"

Me: "I would assume that the heads are you and me...and it looks like we're in bed."

Alex: "Right. And do we look like we're in the lap of luxury?"

Me: "Hmmm...not really...we're eating pizza. What's this number sign here?"

Alex: "That's a patch on our blanket."

Me: "Oh...okay, I get that now...but...I still don't get the theme..."

Alex puts the last piece in place: "And what's this?"

Me: (still baffled) "It looks like an empty box."

Alex: "Right. And remember how you said you'd rather live in a box..."

I never heard her finish her statement. I began to sob, right there. I threw my arms around her and held her and wept for about a minute or so. I just couldn't believe that she'd make a cake about that. I couldn't believe how much that meant to me.

I still mean it, by the way. Granted, living in a cardboard box on the street isn't anything I'd want to do...but if I had to, I could...as long as my love is with me.