Sunday, December 09, 2007

Fred and Ginger? Well, maybe Fred Flintstone...

So, something we've wanted to do for a long time...pretty much since our early days of dating... (Ye gods, can I say "early days of dating" if we've been married for a whole 8 weeks now?) ...is learn to dance.

Don't get me wrong...Alex has moves. There are times she's standing in the kitchen and the music is playing and she's just moving to it...it's absolutely lovely to watch. She knows how to move to the music and it really shows. Whereas there are times that I move...well...more like this...




...Anyway, last Tuesday, we went to a dance studio called Strictly Ballroom, and after donning dance shoes, Alex and I were given a few steps. We both love Sinatra and Dean Martin, etc (we played a lot of them at the wedding) and the dances that mostly go with those type of songs are the foxtrot and waltz. So now, we can "kinda" do those dances. Not very well, yet, I tell you...but only because we've only done it for about an hour or so. We still need much practice. But we've got the basic moves down - and we loved it. I don't know how many guys are out there reading this and are scoffing, but I tell you, learning to really move right on the dance floor is something very cool. I highly reccommend it.

The purpose for the dance studio is, of course, to sell lessons, and Alex and I basically gave our Christmas present to each other there by buying a set.

So with some luck, at the next wedding, we'll be able to really dance the night away.

  When marimba rhythms start to play
Dance with me, make me sway
Like a lazy ocean hugs the shore
Hold me close, sway me more

Like a flower bending in the breeze
Bend with me, sway with ease
When we dance you have a way with me
Stay with me, sway with me

Other dancers may be on the floor
Dear, but my eyes will see only you
Only you have the magic technique
When we sway I go weak

I can hear the sounds of violins
Long before it begins
Make me thrill as only you know how
Sway me smooth, sway me now

Other dancers may be on the floor
Dear, but my eyes will see only you
Only you have the magic technique
When we sway I go weak

I can hear the sounds of violins
Long before it begins
Make me thrill as only you know how
Sway me smooth, sway me now
You know how
Sway me smooth, sway me now